Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Right Bus

I know I talk about the buses a lot but they are really a huge part of my life down here. The "Wrong Bus" has become my favorite, because if you understand it, it will take you to the right place and it is R$.50 cheaper. Here's the thing. The buses here don't run in a loop like they would in the states. (I think...honestly I didn't use too much public transportation in the states, so maybe I am wrong.) Anyway, they run in a figure 8. For example, the Guara buses go through Guara I and then through Guara II. My Yes! school is right in that center part of the eight, and we live on the completely other side of the eight. So everytime I get on I have to ask where it is going. There is nothing on the bus that would indicate which loop it is on. "Pasa por 38?" Also, the buses to Brasilia from our house (in block 38) do a figure 8 around both Guara I and II, and then back to Brasilia...so again, you have to ask, because if you get on the bus going in the wrong direction you will still get there, but you could be up to an hour late. Therefore, there really is no wrong bus, just a wrong direction.

Yesterday I came home and went over to Kelly and Lance's. I said, "guess what?!?! Big News! The most amazing thing has just happened."
"What?" they both answered.
"The little green buses all went down to just R$1.00!!!" (They used to be R$1.50 for some and R$1.00 for others.) This is a big deal for me. Not only will it save me a lot of money, but is will also save me for having to carry around those R$.50 pieces.

Off topic, I took some more pictures of Spring today. This tree is the same tree as before, but it looked even brighter today. The picture really doesn't do it justice.



These were all taken downtown Brasilia, by the Caixa building where I work in the mornings giving private and small group lessons.
The first floor of the building has these beautiful stainglass windows, one for every state in Brasil.

I'm not sure if you can really tell from the pictures, but they are huge, and there is water in front of them showing their reflection. They are really breathtaking.

No comments: