Friday, September 26, 2008

My Strange Day

This has been a strange day....which is a little strange to say because it means that other days here in Brasil have been not strange...or normal...which, I suppose is true. I am settling into a routine and I am getting pretty comforitable, even though I am totally over worked, but it is just for a season...I'm sure there will be rest by the end of this...
Anyway, every morning I get up early and go into Brasilia. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I tutor Danyel at 7:30am. (He's the really important one at the top of the building with the guys who bring around coffee). Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a conversation class with three people from the GEAVO department. It's pretty chill, I just need to bring something to talk about. Then I have a new class in the SUALO department, with two gentelmen who are preparing for a trip to Greece, for a conference. They both speak pretty good English and just want to brush up before the convention.
Then in the afternoons I head over to Yes! to teach the kids and at night I have the adult classes. It's not so bad, and I am starting to get to know my students and fellow teachers.
Today Danyel was 30 minutes late, which is totally not like him. He came in without a tie, unshaven and totally frazzeled. Clearly he had slept in. We started class, but he kept saying coffee...what was taking those coffee guys so long?! Anyway, he was in such a rare mood, he just wanted to talk and joke the whole time. Which is fine with me because he is doing it in English. I am really prood of him, because he really couldn't speak any English when we started, and now we are having full converstation...(ok so he says everything in the present tense, but I haven't taught him past or future yet.) I left the class in such a good mood. I am just really enjoying teaching him. He is a fast learner and really a pleasent person, so it's a great class. Before going home for my 4 hour mid-day break, I decided to go furniture shopping, (since I am still sleeping on a mattress on the floor, with a cardboard box next to the bed as a bookshelf/nightstand, and all my clothes are sorted neatly in cardboard boxes too.) Specifially I was looking for a desk and a chair...or at least some sort of chair...I was sick of sitting on the floor to put my shoes on. Even an armchair would be perfect. Well anyway, I went to a few used furniture stores, and I found this armchair that folded out to be a single bed. It was comforitable enough and I knew that it would be useful. So I used one day's pay to purchase it. The guy agreed to deliver it at 1:30pm. (I would believe that when I saw it, but from my experience thing go come eventually, so I wasn't too worried about it.) Low and behold, the chair/bed was delivered promptly at 1:45pm. It's perfect...or at least a good start.
I was really tired and not in the mood to go anywhere, but lately I have been a bit of a social butterfly...well not yet, but today is the start. Up until this point Leila has been our only real friend. Well we did have dinner at Rosa, a friend of Kelly's when we first arrived, but since then Leila is the only one who has invited us over or to anything. So she invited us to her house for a pizza party on Friday, and I was looking forward to it. Leila didn't really know how to make pizza so this was an experiment for her. Then I found out that Katerina...my friend for work was having a pizza party on Friday...luckily Leila's dinner was at 6pm, and Katerina's meal at the Brasilian steakhouse wasn't until 8pm...so I could probably do both, but I would have to be hungry. Also, one of my students invited me to her house after class on Saturday.
Anyway, I headed to Yes! in the afternoon, and had a long talk with one of the owners of Yes! He wants to know my plan for next semester and he wants to help me get the visas that I needed. I told him that I wasn't exactly sure of my plan yet, but that I was very greatful for his help...I would really like a visa, but I am a little nervous getting locked into some sort of a contract with this school. It's a great experience, but it really doesn't pay that well, and now that I have had a taste of private tutoring...well, let me just say, 6 hours at Yes! equals one hour of private tutoring. Anyway, after a while we started talking about Churches and he invited me to his church on Saturday night...at 7pm...which might work since my date with Aline...my student...was at 4pm. But maybe I should schedule in some time to relax too? hum...

No comments: