This morning I woke up earlier than usual and decided that it would be a good day to make coffee. Usually I just buy it at the corner store for about $0.25. I got up and put the water on the boil. We have a Brasilian coffee maker, so you have to boil the water first and then pour it through this filter. Well, for some reason I was a little clutsy this morning and I knocked over a whole pile of pans...this was at 6am, and Kelly and Lance were sleeping in the room right by the kitchen...oops. I turned on the propain, lite the match and put the water on. Then I went back to my house to get showered and ready. When I went back to check on the water it still wasn't boiling! At about 6:30pm I gave up and turned it off. I didn't have enough time anymore.
So I went to the corner store to get my usual cup. I was already in the mood for a big american cup and didn't think that the little shot glass of coffee would be enough, so I asked for two. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to finish it in time, (you know what happens when I try to ride the bus while drinking coffee...), but I got two anyway. I went to the cashier to pay and I had these two very hot shot cups of coffee. I set them down and reached for my wallet, but somehow I knocked one of them over. Now there isn't that much coffee in these little things, so I don't understand how it got everywhere, all over my hand and arm, on my sweater, on my feet, all over the counter, and on the foot. "descuple, descuple" I kept saying. "I'm sorry." They got me a wet rag and I wiped myself off then started on the counter. One of the bakers ushered me to the back to wash off my hands. (They make their coffee really sweet, so it was sticky too.)...and hot. I was so embarassed. I had made such a mess. But they were very nice and got me another cup of coffee, and put it in a larger glass (even though it was still just a sip.) I guess in the confusion I had left my wallet on the counter by the cashier...luckily he kept it safe for me. I paid for the two cups and by this time the other lady was mopping up the floor. Honestly, I have no idea how this little cup produced so much coffee. I left with my coffee totally embarrased and quite a bit late now for the bus. I better hope that there is no traffic today. During my brisk walk to the bus station I realized that my hand...that I had spilled coffee on...was actually in quit a lot of pain. I looked down. I was definitely red...I must have burnt it. It didn't really occur to me at the time, but it was too late to do anything about it now. I waited at the bus stop for a while wondering if I should go get some water, so ice...but if I left the bus station, that would be the moment that the bus would come. So I decided to wait. I have been late too many times. I got the bus and luckily there was no traffic, so I was at Caixa in 30 minutes. But I decided that it would be ok to be 5 minutes late and I ducked into the nearest restroom. I held my hand, which was in a great deal of pain by this time, under the tap and let the cold water run over it. Then I wet a paper towel and held it against my hand. Eventually I had to suck it up and go teach Danyel. 
6 hours later and my hand hasn't fallen off yet, so that's good news. Wow was that coffee hot! I have a bit of a scar...or mark like a braclete around my wrist, and most of the back of my hand is red...but I think I will be ok.
Maybe I will try to boil water a home again tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment