Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Portuguese & Fast Food

I want you all to know that Lance is really trying to learn Portugese. And every once in a while he will come out with something pretty reasonable....but today we found out...that everything that Lance knows about Portuguese he learned from McDonalds. They call their Big Macs, 'Biggie Mackie' (but it's spelled Big Mac, and they don't understand if you don't say Bigge), therefore Lance found out that if you want something bad enough you should just add an "e" at the end. For example, fone, arte, esporte, envelope


Tonight we had our first Bible Study/Discussion in the house. It was really nice. Our friend Leila came with her daughter Sarah. It was perfect except that they didn't leave until 10pm and none of us had eaten dinner yet, (I don't get home from work until 8:30 anyway.) So Kelly called to order Giraffas. Giraffas is a little fast food chain that is popular down here. They have burgers, fries and shakes as well rice and beans. Anyway one of our neighbors works as the delivery guy for Giraffas and he gave us the menus. So, being that we are starving and it is nearly 10:30pm, Kelly attempted the call. After a few seconds on the phone she quickly hung up before saying a word. She looked at me and said, "I got scared, I didn't know what to do." So I started laughing, she just hung up because she was scared?!? She explained that she got Giraffas' answering machine. Was I suppose to leave a message?!? We both laughed because, truthfully, we had no idea. Maybe you do leave messages at fast food resturants when you call to order. It is so strange, but that really is something that would make sense here in Brasil. So she called back, wondering exactly what she should leave on the machine...a return phone number...the entire order...the address...and when exactly were they going to deliver this, if was left on a message....how often do they check their messages? Anyway, she gave it a try, calling the giraffone(get it...Giraffa and fone...it's the number for all of Brasilia) and as soon as she started with "uh...yes my name is Kelly and I would like to order.." a woman answered and cut her off. She was only ordering three burders, but it took forever to give her all of the information. After she had placed the order and given her the address the woman said, "Guara I" and Kelly said, "no, we are in Guara II" (Guara I and Guara II are neighboring cities) and the woman said, "But QI 2 isn't in Guara II, it's in Guara I." And Kelly said, "uh...we are in QE 38...not QI 2..." After she had miscommunicated the address so badly, she hung up the fone and said "Well, I think our food will be coming."
....we are still waiting.

No comments: