Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Teacher

On Sunday we had our St. Francis Day service. My friend Leonardo and another guy from Leonardo's church, Yuri, wanted to come see the service. They ended up showing up an hour and a half late for the service, and then they stayed until 6 at night.
This is Kelly, Leonardo and Yuri, listening to some songs on the internet that afternoon.
After they left we quickly had to clean up the house and start cooking dinner. My other friends Alexandre and Aline were coming over for dinner. So it was a very busy day.

On Tuesday we had our Bible Discussion again. This week, Leila and her daughter Sarah came again, and so did Leonardo, and then Kelly's friend, who goes to the Church of Christ and teaches English at the French school, Noela came as well. Since the second week, our bible discussion has been growing by one person every week. I wonder how long this momentum will keep up. I also wonder how much longer until we are out of chairs. We seem to be buying chairs every week. After the Bible Discussion, as everyone was leaving, I hear a shout from across the park.
It was Leonard #2. Another student of mine who lives across the street from us. We discovered that we were neighbors on the first day of class, when we seemed to be following eachother home on the bus. Since then I hadn't seen him in the neighborhood.
But on Tuesday he came over and we chatted for a little while. He wants to practice his English. But of course, as soon as Kelly joined the conversation he comforitably slipped back into his native tounge. His mother makes and sells chocolate, so he has immediately become our best friend in the neighborhood. And he has Skye TV, and he invited Lance to join him to watch the NFL games on Sunday, so he also became Lance best friend. Tonight we had chapter and mass. Right after mass he was at our door. He said that the music was so nice (which, I am sure he was just saying to be nice, because me, Kelly and Lance singing acapela...well...). Apparently he attends Christian Congregation of Brasil in Guara II.
We all took our turn taking pictures with in, and I just couldn't choose which picture to use for the blog, so you get all of them.



What is a little funny is that these two Leonardo's, who are becoming good friends of mine, still call me teacher. Oh, have I not mentioned how everyone here gets called my their profession? They do not call me Ms. Halkyard, or Miss Tanya or even just Tanya. They call me teacher. And it's not just teachers. I have heard them call clerks at the super market, "clerk" and bus drivers "driver." But I think, after you are friends with someone you should call them...well "friend" instead of "teacher"

No comments: