Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The 8th Day

So today is the 8th day of the strike. Yesterday...on the one week mark... there was a vote by the union workers to decide whether or not to return to work. Apparently the voted against returning. So the strike continues and it is getting stronger and building momentum. Today the strikers blocked all the entrences to the parking lots, so everyone had to find other places to park. But still, it wasn't very difficult for me to get in. Of course, it may be because on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays I arrive at 7:30am....and strikers don't seem to be early birds. Tuesdays and Thursdays I don't get there until 8:30am, so tomorrow might be a different story.
I was talking with one of my classes today. They said that this strike is a little strange. The strikers don't seem to be Caixa employees. They said that they think the union has hired people to stand out front and strike. Which to me seems to be the oddest thing that I have ever heard. So the strikers aren't actually strikers and in fact they are working? What? That hasn't been varified though.

No comments: