Monday, November 10, 2008
The Feira
On Saturdays I have about a 2 hour lunch break between classes. I am sure that I am suppose to go home for a long lunch and a nap, but being an American I usually just grab a sandwich and get back to work. This Saturday I decided to take a stroll to the Feira, which is right across the street from my school. The feira is a large covered market that sells everything from clothes to fish, to hamcock.
Our first few weeks Kelly and I spend a lot of time combing the stall for good deals on pots and pans and wastepaper baskets...all those things necessary for a new home. After a while though, we found that the prices really weren't much better than the grocery store, and the feira is really too crowded to get anything done. But, the clothes were always a great deal. A few weeks ago Kelly went on a little shopping spree for clothes and came back with some amazing purchases. Since then I have been saving up for my shopping day. Since I just got two new tutoring jobs and they both pay pretty well, and since I am pretty tired of all of my clothes I decided it was time. So I headed to the feira during my lunch break. It's always interesting in a crowded place like that, especially when you don't speak the language.
Honestly I think I spent 20 minutes with one sales lady before she knew that I didn't completely understand Portuguese...I communicated mostly with shruggs and points...apparently that didn't clue her in. The changing rooms are just little curtains hung up in a courner and each shop is about 10 by 10 feet...so it was pretty cozy. I found what I wanted and was delighted in the prices. Many things here in Brazil are more expensive than in the states, but I was able to find some really nice tops to about $2.50. So you can't beat that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment