Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Iguaçu

On Sunday we headed to the Brasil side of the Iguaçu falls. While waiting for our bus we wondered around a little museum display that showed how the falls were formed. Apparently they are the results of mayor volcanic activity that settled in layers, which is why the falls have two tiers. The display that caught both my and Enrique’s attention was this giant ball showing pictures of the falls and other scenery. It looks like a giant ball, but really it is just a small screen with four mirrors on each side. Even when I knew what it was I couldn’t quite understand it, but it was pretty neat. We caught the air conditioned bus to the first trail station. I swear today was even hotter than yesterday, and both days I could have easily melted into a puddle of sweat if I stayed in the direct sunlight for more that 2 minutes. From Brasil the falls were still absolutely magnificent. Most of the falls are actually on the Argentine side of the river, so while we walked among them yesterday, today we had a beautiful sweeping view of all the falls at once, from across the river. It was truly breathtaking. I just couldn’t stop taking pictures. We made our way along the river until we finally came upon Garganta del Diablo, the Devil’s Throat. This is the start of the falls, and the water force is unbelievably powerful. We stood for a while on the little platform nearly surrounded by the rushing waters.
After an ice cream cone we headed back to the Villalobus’ for a Sunday afternoon churrasco. Just how you might imagine a Brasilian Barbeque, an assortment of meats, a beautiful salad, rice, beans and of course capirina… a special Brasilian drink made from sugar cane liquor. It was truly one of the highlights of my weekend. I like to boost that I am a traveler, not a tourist, and this is an example of that. A tourist visits the falls then returns to the five star hotel for a “Brasilian” buffet. A traveler sits in the backyard of a Brasilian family trying her best Portuguese while sampling meats, drinks and music. The Villalobus’ are a really amazing family. They all have so much energy and are so hospitable. I really enjoyed getting to know all of them. I am really lucky that one of my students was from Iguaçu, and a student who I really enjoy the company of. My best Brasilian tour guide was able to be my Iguaçu tour guide as well.

1 comment:

Holly Larson, MS, RD said...

What beautiful pictures! I'm glad you took so many!